Labels

Thursday 27 October 2011

Lennoxville / Sherbrooke / Bishops trip

Recently, I had applied to Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec. I was accepted by the school, but needed to do an audition as formality. Thus, I planned a trip down to Lennoxville. On my list of things to do were:

1. Meet the family I'll be living with.
2. Visit friends.
3. Experience living on University residence (apparently Bishops is like the movie American Pie at times.. exciting!)
4. Meet the music faculty.
5. Take the Bishops' tour.
6. Do my audition.

Everything went as plan, but making that plan was difficult. Unfortunately, the ride to Lennoxville and back had bailed on me, so I had to organize something else. Fortunately, my teacher is extremely gracious, and offered me his trunk and to drive his car to the bus station! However, I do not have a full license so he said 'No problem. Bring a friend and get him / her to drive you to the bus station, and drive the car back!' I was floored. First of all, Reuven (my teacher), is lending me his bass trunk (these run anywhere from $1,500 - $3,000), and then he's also allowing one of my friends (someone he's never met before) to drive his car to the bus station with me, and drive it back alone! I asked my friend Samuel Mckee to drive me there, and fortunately he said yes.

When I arrived at the bus station, I had many stares. This was because of how large a bass trunk is (click on this link to see: double bass trunks), and that somehow, a man of 5'7 could handle it by myself. The flight case weighed 50 pounds, my case inside weighed 20, my bass weighs 30, and everything else weighs about 5-7 pounds. In total, that is 107 pounds - no easy feat.

Anyways, when I put my bass into the bottom of the bus, the driver told me that I'd have to pay extra, and I said 'No. The website said "1 piece of luggage, 1 carry on", and this is my luggage, so I am not going to pay extra'. He didn't argue further. However, I was nervous that he'd take it off, and I wouldn't realize until my arrival in Sherbrooke. Fortunately, this did not happen.

When I arrived, it was raining lightly, and it was fairly chilly. I phoned a cabby and said that I had a very large 'suitcase' and that I'd need a van. They said that they'd send a car. I hung up the phone, and said that they were idiots. A bystander overheard me and said 'they never listen, do they?', while looking at my case, which stands 7'5 or so. Alas, the cabbie arrives, looks at me, and drives away. I phone them back and said that it wouldn't fit, and the woman asked me if I tried. I said, "the case is 7'5! It won't fit in a car. Send me a van. I don't care how long it takes". She told me to wait 15 minutes, and in the end, the van was quite large. My teacher had texted me a story of how he was in Winnipeg and in the same situation. In the end, he had taken a stretch limo because of his lack of options. It's hilarious what us bass players have to do sometimes.

Anyways, to cut to the chase, my audition was successful and they asked me beforehand if I 'even wanted to do my audition' and if I felt like I had 'wasted my time'. I told them that I 'might as well' do it. I only played two movements of a Vivaldi Cello Sonata, linked here: Vivaldi cello Sonata No.5.

So, to conclude, I am going to Bishops University for Music. I am enrolled in a Honors Music Major - Double Bass, and with a German minor. Germany is where I plan on completing my Master's degree, and perhaps my Ph.D (I can go for relatively free because I'll be fluent in German). I may also take an Italian minor as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment