Labels

Thursday 8 September 2011

Lesson on Tuesday, September 6th, 2011.

On Tuesday I had another lesson with my long-term professor, Reuven Rothman. I brought my bass to the lesson, and of course, there were funny things that happened on the way.

While I was walking out of Rosemont Metro, there was this drunken lady that walked past me, and said 'Hey!', while winking and making a kissing face at me. Some of my friends have jokingly said that carrying my bass around must make women interested in me, and I suppose that that's been proven to me now.

Back in the metro, on the way back home, there was a guido-Jersey-Shore girl that saw me, and mimicked playing the double bass while laughing with her friend. Actually, this happens quite a bit. And of course, there is the always 'Whoa! Big guitar!' comment.

I realized that since this is a bit of a boring post, that I'll share one of my favourite stories that have happened to me.

Last Season (2010-2011), I was doing a concert for a friend at H.S. Billings High School in Chateauguay. Initially, I was to only play two sets with the tutti ensemble. I ended up doing four sets, two jazz trios, and two tutti ensemble. However, during the second tutti ensemble (the last set), there was this alarm that started going off! No one knew what it was, and the conductor was still going, so we kept playing.

After the tune ended, the Principal came on stage and told everyone to evacuate! We were told to leave our instruments on stage, or in the classroom, and of course, I'm not going to do that. I never leave my bass anywhere if I don't know if it's safe or not. So, I run outside carrying my bass, and all of the doors get locked behind us.

After an hour or so, we're informed that we won't be able to get back inside that night. During then, I was standing outside with my bass, bow, and my suit. My cellphone, keys, wallet, transportation card (Opus), bass case, and other set of clothes were all locked inside the school! I couldn't go home because I was in a different city, so I was stuck.

Luckily, I knew the percussionist and I stayed at his house. I had to call my job and tell them that I'd be late because there was a fire at the gig I was at last night (they thought that I meant that my instrument and everything was caught in fire). So, the next day I eventually get home and make it to work. It was a heck of a concert, and one of the most memorable so far.

Here's a link to the article about the fire: http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110512/mtl_Howard_s_billings_fire_110512/Hiccups

And here's a link to the concert review (which mentions our two jazz trios! http://monteregieweb.com/main+fr+01_300+Stairway_to_Heaven_left_in_the_lurch.html?ArticleID=701313&JournalID=24

No comments:

Post a Comment